Internships and Applied Learning are central to all the programs in the Department of Public Health and Human Performance.
Exercise Science Majors are required to complete a 3-credit internship in the field, and Community Health Majors complete a 12-credit capstone internship at the end of their undergraduate career.
Exercise Science students have interned in many locations, including:
- Site P & Site B, Potsdam, NY
- Beast Fitness, Potsdam, NY
- Canton-Potsdam Hospital, Potsdam, NY
- Shane T. Shaul Fitness Center, Potsdam, NY
- Goodemote Physical Therapy, PLLC
- Middletown YMCA, Middletown, NY
- Strides of CNY, LLC, Syracuse, NY
Community Health interns have served agencies across areas of the field including sexual health, nutrition, access to healthcare, maternal health, drug and alcohol treatment and recovery, and more. Some past internship sites include:
- Cornell Cooperative Extension of St. Lawrence County, as well as counties across NYS
- Hospice of St. Lawrence Valley
- State and County Public Health Departments
- Planned Parenthood of the North Country and other locations
- WIC locations including Community Health Center of the North Country
- Seaway Valley Prevention Council
- The American Red Cross in the North Country, NYC, and more
Internship Coordinator Sarah Lister is available to work with Community Health Majors, Masters students, and others looking to find applied learning experiences in the field. Reach out to schedule a meeting!