Instagram Combined Shape quotation Created with Sketch. 69

Leave of Absence/Withdrawal from the College

Leave of Absence

A Leave of Absence is a formal request to leave school but return within one year.

Request a Leave of Absence if you need to take some "time off" from college but have a plan and expect to return to SUNY Potsdam within a year's time.


A Withdrawal is an official request to leave school for an undetermined amount of time.

Request a withdrawal if you are not planning to return to SUNY Potsdam or if you are uncertain about your future plans.

Learn More & View Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form

An Emergency Withdrawal (W*) from the College can be requested if you are forced to leave the College during a semester due to reasons beyond your control.

Acceptable circumstances for an Emergency Withdrawal:

  • A severe medical or emotional condition or
  • A serious family emergency, etc.
  • You must be able to provide clear and complete documentation of the situation from a qualified professional such as a doctor or psychological counselor.

Learn More & View Emergency Withdrawal Form


Any student who leaves the College and wishes to return must complete an Application for Readmission.

Readmission Information